What is a Yoni Steam?
Yoni steaming, or vaginal steaming, is a practice in which a woman sits or squats over steaming pot of water infused with herbs. It's a form of hydrotherapy which has been historically used to cleanse the uterus, release toxins, promote fertility, strengthen the reproductive organs after child birth, relieve symptoms of PMS, ease blood clotting during the menstrual cycle, and promote an over all sense of feminine well being.
Are Yoni Steams for everyone?
No, Yoni steams should not be used if you are:
- You are pregnant or think you may be pregnant!
- You are bleeding or menstruating
- If you have an IUD or another contraceptive device in place.
- Have a vaginal infection or open wounds.
- When trying to support infertility or a specific condition where there may be particular contraindications to be aware of.
Can I do a steam at home?
Are there any special points I should consider?
- It is very important to test the temperature of the steam before using. If it is too hot wait 15 seconds and test it again until it feels comfortably warm to steam with.
- Do not add or use “essential oils” they are too strong and may burn sensitive genital tissue.
- It can temporary increase menstrual flow with more dark fluids or debris. Menses may start earlier than usual due to the cleansing effect.
How do I do the Yoni Steam?
- In a medium covered pot, pour 8 cups of water (preferably purified water).
- Place 1/4 cup dried herbs into the water.
- Bring water to a soft boil for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, leave the lid on and steep for another 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Wave your hand 8 inches over the herbal water to make sure it is not too hot.
- Remove your underwear and sit on the seat above the steaming water.
- Drape a large blanket or sheet around your waist down to the floor making sure no steam escapes.
- Sit under the steam for 20 minutes.
How often should I do a Yoni Steam?
It is recommended to do a steam 1-3 times a month.
How long after giving birth should I wait before doing a Yoni Steam?
As soon as your postpartum bleeding has stopped, it is safe for you to do a yoni Stream. It is necessary to wait until the bleeding from the birth has ended.
What are some benefits of doing a Yoni Steam?
- For a pleasurable moon-time (menstruation) and easing menstrual pain, imbalances and blood clots: Setting aside time for 1-3 Yoni Steam Rituals during your pre-menstrual phase are one of the best ways to prepare for your moon-time /menstruation and nurture pelvic stagnancy and blood clots. The warming steam aids in cleansing and nourishing the uterine membrane. It’s important to know that healthy menstrual blood flows are easily, bright red color with no clots.
- For fertility: Yoni Steams are a great support in nourishing our feminine bodies into their natural state of fertility and creativity. It helps to create uterine membranes that are moist and receptive for conception to happen. If you are actively trying to conceive, you can use the Yoni Steam during your pre-ovulation phase up until ovulation, to prepare for conception. Do not steam after possible conception.
- After miscarriage: During the vulnerable time following a miscarriage, a Yoni Steam Ritual may support your body in cleansing and can also be a wonderful tool for connecting with your feminine center and Inner Woman to avoid stagnant emotions taking root in your body. You can begin to Yoni Steam once your bleeding has ceased. It is important to take the time to honor the initiation of this experience and actively support the energetic and physical release.
- Postpartum: Keeping women warm is at the heart of many women’s wisdom practices across the world, including traditional postpartum practices. Using Yoni Steams after birth brings nourishing heat, supports the body to release fluids, and aids the womb in shrinking back to pre-pregnancy size. If you have had a caesarian you want to wait a little longer than vaginal birth, until you’ve healed well.
- Peri-menopause and menopause: When your cycles are slowing down or changing, the Yoni Steam can stimulate circulation and support your womb to continue to release fully. On the other side of menopause, the warming steam can be revitalizing for vaginal dryness while nourishing a deep connection to your feminine center and Inner Woman in a time of initiation and transformation.
- Pelvic pain, tightness or pain during intercourse: For women experiencing pelvic pain, chronic holding, or tightness the Yoni Steam helps to soothe and relax the pelvic muscles. Combine the steam with breath awareness and full diaphragmatic breathing to relax your pelvic muscles and create a loving connection with your feminine center.
- After Hysterectomy or other pelvic surgeries: The heat and warmth can be a soothing therapy for scar tissue. When combined with castor oil packs and massage it helps to increase vitality after surgery. Doing a Yoni Steam may also be helpful in emotionally and energetically reconnecting with your feminine center after an invasive procedure and experience. Your feminine center always remains even if you no longer have your physical womb or ovaries.
How do I know I need a Yoni Steam?
Many women do Yoni Steams as a self-care practice, while others have symptoms where one is recommended. For instance:
- Dark blood at the beginning or end of menstrual cycle.
- Post miscarriage, Post DNC.
- After childbirth
- Irregular cycles
- Menstrual pain or cramps
- Pelvic pain
- PCOS, Fibroids, Ovarian cyst
- Uterine Prolapses
- Preventative care 1 week before menstrual cycle
- Vaginal dryness
- Menopausal symptoms
How does a Yoni Steam work?
Yoni steam works by applying very mild heat and moisture that carries medicinal plant oils to the exterior tissues of the Yoni vulva. The warmth and moisture increase circulation in the vulva, causing the inner labial mucus membranes to be exposed. These tissues are very porous and absorbent, which allows the bloodstream to pick up the medicinal oils and transfer them into the inner reproductive system. There, they work to help the uterus cleanse and release what is built up on its lining, which helps ensure that the next cycle is easy and pain-free, aiding an egg to implant, and reducing other uterine abnormalities. The result is a healthier and pleasant cycle.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.